This pocket-sized reference for new and seasoned intensive care unit (ICU) nurses contains critical knowledge presented in the
clear, precise, “Fact Facts” format. It provides quick access to a broad array of guidelines, procedures, and equipment used by ICU nurses daily as well as on a less frequent basis.
The book covers assessment and procedural skills, medications, intravenous (IV) therapy, nutrition, wound care, sterile field setup, and patient preparation. It facilitates equipment mastery for respiratory and cardiac care along with troubleshooting tips for monitoring and mechanical devices. Also included is information on specific types of critical care units, such as cardiac, surgical, neuro, and the burn unit. Documentation, advance directives, organ donations, palliative and end-of-life care are also discussed.
The resource addresses the requirements of The Joint Commission and recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, such as isolation precautions and use of personal protective equipment. Other important information is provided such as normal hemodynamic measurements, basic electrocardiographic (EKG) rhythms, 12-lead EKG electrode placement, and a “Do Not Use” abbreviation list in the appendix that will help prevent medication errors.
- Provides quick access to information needed on a daily basis
- Covers equipment, medications, procedures, and specialty care
- Includes reliable data for basic EKG rhythms, IV therapy, expected treatments and patient care, abbreviation list, and troubleshooting tips
- Targeted to new ICU nurses, and experienced critical care nurses alike
- Helps nurses quickly access information with the “Fast Facts in a Nutshell” feature